It is important to have regular examinations, even if you are not experiencing any pain. Many dental conditions will not show symptoms or cause pain in the early stages. By the time you are experiencing pain or swelling, the disease has already progressed. Through regular dental exams, your dentist can:
- Identify changes in your mouth
- Diagnose and address minor issues before they become larger problems
- Guide you on ways to prevent dental disease
- Answer any questions and concerns you may have about your dental health
- Treat any condition that may arise, or refer you to the necessary dental specialist
Frequency of exams
The frequency of your dental exams will depend on your unique dental health care needs. It is recommended that you visit the dentist at least once per year. Your dentist may recommend that you attend more frequently based on your current oral and/or general health or other lifestyle factors.